Friday, August 20, 2010

I swore we'd wait a long time!

For I don't know how long, Mark has been telling me, "We should buy a house," to which I would replied, "We will, but when you're done in the military and we actually can settle down in one place for more than 4 years." I just get way too nervous about the problems that can occur once Mark would get stationed elsewhere: Will we be able to sell the house fast enough? Will we be able to rent it out if we're unable to sell it? What happens if we can't do either, and we don't have enough money to continue paying for it after so much times? Just the thought of those questions makes my stomach turn and I want to get sick all over the place. Ugh.

However, the other night when I was online and looking at houses up for rent down in Florida, I thought to myself I'll just look at some houses for sale down there because I've seen all these rentals a million times already. So I looked at some houses for sale. I just wanted to see what there was down there and I had no intentions of telling Mark, "Let's buy a house down there." I was doing good for a while till I saw a house built in 1908 with seven bedrooms and over an acre and a half of land for under $200,000. When I first saw it, I was just drawn to it. There was something about it and I couldn't figure it out right away. [I eventually realized that it reminds me of my grandparents' house that I've loved since I was a little kid. When I realized it looks like their house, I started crying. Seriously, I love their house so much and always wanted a house like there's when I was younger. It's absolutely beautiful!] I saw some other houses that I really liked, too. And all of them were for $125,000 or less! [Realty down there is so much cheaper than it is here! It's crazy!] After looking at the houses for sale, I just totally caved and told Mark, "Maybe we should buy a house. Realty is much cheaper down there than it is here, and I want to be able to live in a home where I can make changes whenever I want without having to check with the realtor and owner first. Plus, we can make the house more eco-friendly."

I know some people don't really care about the environment, or don't even care at all [which is a complete shame], but the environment means a lot to me. I have cared about the environment ever since I had Michael. I felt that as a parent, I need to be more aware of what I'm doing and what others are doing because this is the world my child [now children] will be living in once I'm gone. I want them to live in a better world than what I lived in. But over the past year or so, the environment has meant a great deal to me! So I feel if we buy a house, I will be doing the environment/world some good by making eco-friendly changes to a house.

Anyway, back to houses and Florida. Mark and I have been texting and e-mailing each other during the days the last week or so about houses for rent, and now for sale, that we like. Mark sent me a link yesterday and told me to look at this one house in particular. I looked at it, and I immediately fell in "love" with it!!


The asymmetry of the house is so appealing to me!


I absolutely love the open floor plan of the family room, dining area, and kitchen with just the fireplace in the center! Having an open floor plan is very important to me!! I have been telling Mark for a while now that whenever we settle down and buy a house that live in for the rest of our lives, the house has to have an open floor plan!



The extra space/family room upstairs is a terrific bonus, if you ask me! I love all of the large windows, too! I prefer natural lighting, and this whole house has a lot of large windows. Also, I like that there is a balcony on the second floor right outside the upstairs family room.

We are planning on making a trip down to Florida within the next 2-3 weeks to check out this house, as well as a few others. I am really hoping that this house does not let me down!!!! Have you ever just felt so drawn to a specific house, like it's absolutely one of those things in your life that you have to have? Well, this house is one of those things for me.

Cross your fingers that the house does not let me down when we go check it out!

No comments:

Post a Comment